Winter 2016—2017 Update
Election Day—Thursday 17 November, 2016 | 9 AM to 9 PM
The Ottawa–Vanier provincial by-election has attracted 11 candidates—including a man who legally changed his name to Above Znoneofthe, so that his name could appear at the bottom of the ballot for the “None of the Above” Party. The complete list of candidates in the Ottawa–Vanier by-election is as follows:
- Claude Bisson, New Democratic Party of Ontario.
- Kevin Clarke, The Peoples Political Party.
- Elizabeth de Viel Castel, Stop the New Sex-Ed Agenda.
- Nathalie Des Rosiers, Ontario Liberal Party.
- Dean T. Harris, Ontario Libertarian Party.
- André Marin, Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario.
- Stephanie McEvoy, Canadian Constituents' Party.
- David McGruer, Freedom Party of Ontario.
- Raphaël Morin, Green Party of Ontario.
- John Turmel, Pauper Party of Ontario.
- Above Znoneofthe, None of the Above Party.
Friday 18 November, 5 PM to 8 PM and Saturday 19 November, 10 AM to 4 PM
The 38th Christmas Craft Show will be held by the Navan Arts and Crafts Group, with over 25 juried Artists and Artisans. The event
takes place at the Navan Memorial Centre Hall, 1485 Colonial Road in Navan. There will be free admission and Door Prizes. Donations will also be accepted for the Orleans-Cumberland Community Resource Centre Christmas Program.
Saturday, December 3, 2016 from Noon to 4 PM
A Christmas Bazaar will be held at MacKay United Church on 39 Dufferin Road (New Edinburgh). The bazaar will feature a bake table, preserves, books, CDs and vinyl records, attic treasures, accessories, vintage/retro/couture ladies clothing, Christmas decorations and much more.
Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 7 PM to 9 PM
Public Meeting at Gloucester High School for the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board’s Changes to School Districts Study.
The Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (OCDSB) is conducting a review of student learning and pupil accommodation in our area, because of accommodation pressures and school utilization rates at Gloucester, Colonel By and Rideau High Schools. The Board intends to consolidate excess pupil space by September 2017. According to the Board’s report, the Eastern Secondary Area (as defined for the review) has 1,362 excess pupil spaces. The following have been proposed in the “Review: Phase One”, to reduce the excess pupil space by 966 pupil places and brings the overall utilization in the area to a factor of 85%: -
- No changes are proposed to the Colonel By Secondary School’s location or regular program catchment area at this time.
- Rideau High School would be closed and its Grade 9 through 12 students would attend Gloucester High School effective September 2017.
- An International Baccalaureate Program boundary would be established for Colonel By Secondary School upon receipt of certification for the new western International Baccalaureate school site and program.
Parents, students, staff and community members have an opportunity to learn more about the recommended plan and contribute comments both on the Board’s web site (www.ocdsb.ca) and at the public meeting in January. The Board of Trustees will consider all input and make a final decision in February/March 2017. If you want to discuss the situation with our Trustee, Sandra Schwartz, you can contact her at 613 868-5249 or firstname.lastname@example.org